Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Review


I remember nearly ten years ago working as an usher when the first Iron Man came into theaters. Who would have thought that it would have brought us into this cultural phenomenon of comic book movies that we are in today.  Now here we are 14 films into the Marvel Cinematic Universe and it is still going strong.  Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 marks the 15th entry in the MCU and the second film with this newer cast of characters.


The first film in the series is probably in my top 5 MCU films, and I have fond memories of seeing it for the first time in the theater.  Being the most original film Marvel had done at the time the expectations were rather low since we as an audience didn't really know what to expect from it.  It ended up being a huge success and quickly started into production on the sequel.  Unfortunately the bad thing about a first film in a trilogy or series of films is that if the first one is great it can oftentimes be hard to live up to the status of the original.  That I believe is the case on GOTG Vol. 2.  I did enjoy the film, but not nearly as much as the original.  One thing I felt throughout the movie that was lacking compared to the first one was it's musical soundtrack. In Vol. 1 the music seemed to fit perfectly and you came out of the theater with several of the tunes stuck in your head.  That wasn't the case for me on this one.  There were 1 or 2 memorable music moments, but the song choices just weren't as good in my opinion.  With a movie like this that relies heavily on that I felt that it suffered a bit due to that fact. 

Another thing that the first one relied on was it's humor.  The humor in that one was seamless and on point, but this one had some hits and misses.  Another thing that has been difficult for any filmmaker to do is make a good comedy sequel.  There are only a handful out there that could be considered good.  Luckily this one has a whole universe going for it and many interesting characters to spin off stories with.  As promised in the trailer the background of Star-Lord's father is addressed and in great detail.  Also if you were looking for great baby Groot moments you are sure to find them in this movie!  They certainly do not disappoint on that front. 

As far as pacing and story goes in this film I felt it really took most of the movie to really understand what the point was.  It wasn't until maybe the last 45 minutes when it kicks into gear and gets to the real story.  If you are wondering whether to take kids to this I believe the 13+ rating is fair with this film.  Besides violence and action there isn't a ton of bad language just a few quick sexual comments made that you may not want your child to hear.  It still boggles my mind that people still get up once the credits hit in a Marvel film.  Just a heads up if you plan on seeing this there were 4 maybe 5 post credit scenes in this so definitely don't get up if you want to absorb all this movie has to offer. 


Thank you all for taking the time to read my first review and I hope that it is helpful to you.  If you have any comments or suggestions please feel free to let me know as I am still in the early stages of doing this.  Also let me know what some of the films this summer are that you'd like me to write a review on!

@ChaseWaldapfel

Comments