Tomb Raider (2018) Review

   Movie Summary  

Alicia Vikander takes over the role of Lara Croft from Angelina Jolie in this video game adaptation.  It takes elements loosely from the the rebooted video game from 2013 where more of her origins are explored.  The main difference is that this film relies heavily on her finding out what happened to her father that went missing seven years ago.

MPAA Rating/Content   

Tomb Raider is rated PG-13 for sequences of action and violence, and for some language.  This overall is a pretty clean film for most ages.  There is some gun violence, but nothing really bloody or gory.  Language is pretty mild; no F-bomb that I can recall.

"I am so glad that this wasn't another awful video game movie."



   My Rating: 8/10   

I am so glad that this wasn't another awful video game movie.  With the burn of Assassin's Creed still fresh in my mind this was a nice turn of events.  The story was interesting and engaging.  It kept my interest throughout, and I was eager to see what happened next.  Keep in mind this is an origin story so don't expect a lot of "tomb raiding".  This is mainly setting up what is to come.  It does get me very excited to see 1 or 2 more of these films.  I believe it started out strong enough to make a good trilogy.

One thing that got a little annoying was Alicia Vikander's squeals.  Whenever she is fighting, jumping, or doing something action oriented she makes this annoying squeal sound.  It is present in the trailers so I'm sure you know what I'm referring to.  Prepare for about 10-15 of those noises throughout.

There was also something near the beginning that muddled the timeline a little bit.  A flashback shows her as a child with her father, and it then says he has been missing for 7 years.  Lara is clearly in her twenties in this so at first I thought they were trying to play her off as 17 or something.  It is later clarified in the film that he left when she was a bit older.  It just seemed a little confusing the way they did it.

Have you seen it?  What did you think?  Be sure to let me know in the comments and share this review with your friends.  Also if you live in the Magic Valley or Treasure Valley be sure to see it at Magic Valley Cinema 13 or the Terrace Drive In!


 Recommended Review 

Black Panther Review




   Where to Follow   

Like our Facebook Page: Bravo Cinema Reviews!




-Chase Waldapfel
Reviewer 
@ChaseWaldapfel


Comments

  1. I liked it. Although some of the things she did doesn’t make sense. SPOILER ALERT!
    For example, in the final battle scene, she throws down the axe and jumps onto the ladder bridge. Why didn’t she just keep the axe and run at him?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts!