Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri Review




Best Picture Nominee








   Movie Summary  


I'm pretty sure this is the longest movie title I've ever heard of, but it's exactly what the movie is about.  A mother in the small town of Ebbing has recently lost her daughter in the worst way possible  These abandoned billboards are her way of protest against the handling of the case by local law enforcement.




MPAA Rating/Content   

Three Billboards is rated R for violence, language throughout, and some sexual references.  There is just about every form of prejudice in this.  Mostly pertaining to people of color, but also some religious, lifestyle, and physical appearance discrimination to be aware of. The movie is not portraying these things prejudices as being okay, but hearing some things could be offensive to those who they pertain to.



   My Rating: 9/10   


*What I Liked


This may be the first time I've gone to a movie without seeing the trailer first.  I think going in with a blank slate was really beneficial because I didn't know what to expect.  This movie is very dense, and has some dark subject matter.  It also manages to provide humor throughout without taking away the severity of things happening.  This film is very sad at it's core, but it inspires you to realize that it's never too late to better yourself, and spend your time wisely.

Frances McDormand's character does not give a crap about what people think about her and it's great.  She is just doing her, and not letting anyone get in her way.  I think she's got my vote for Best Actress at the Oscars.




*What I didn't Like

As mentioned above I think some of the racial/religious discriminatory remarks may have gone a little too far.  I really feel like it will make some people uncomfortable while watching it.  While this may be the intent of the filmmaker it's something to be aware of nonetheless.  I also don't know that it had to be quite as long as it was.  A couple parts felt a little dragged out.



   Other Review Recommendations   

Shape of Water


Disaster Artist




   Where to Follow   

Like our page on Facebook: Bravo Cinema Reviews!


-Chase Waldapfel
Reviewer 
@ChaseWaldapfel


Comments