Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales Review

Movie Introduction

Dead Men Tell No Tales is the fifth entry in the Pirates franchise.  Javier Bardem joins the cast as the latest villain that Jack Sparrow has yet again wronged in some way as our heroes search for the Trident of Poseidon.  Growing up the Pirates franchise was up there for me with the likes of Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter.  A lot has happened obviously since then and unfortunately that is not the case for me anymore.
MPAA Rating/Content

This installment of Pirates is rated PG-13 for sequences of adventure violence and some suggestive content.  As far as inappropriate content for younger viewers there isn't much in this film.  If you've seen any of the other Pirates films you'll likely know what to expect as this is not much different. 

My Rating: 5/10

As I mentioned previously I was a huge fan of this franchise.  I even didn't mind the 4th one which most consider to be the worst.  I would take this one as the worst as of this moment.  My hopes were high with the knowledge of Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley rejoining the cast.  That was the big thing lacking from the 4th film was the chemistry between them and Jack.  

The plot of this film just wasn't as interesting as the previous films I felt and I had a hard time getting into it.  I did think the new female lead; Kaya Scodelario did give a good performance and she was the stand out to me in this movie.  I hope she is able to get some good roles in the future.  The story they use every time of Jack Sparrow having to fight off someone he has wronged in the past is also getting very old.  I wish they would have come up with something different.  I won't spoil anything, but there is a scene in this film that was shown in the trailer and literally is in the last 2 minutes of the movie.  They should not have done that because it takes away a lot from what could have been an emotionally satisfying scene.  If you were a huge fan like me you should probably stick it out because there are some conclusions to storylines that you'll want to see through.  If you are more of a casual fan of these films though I wouldn't bother.  


Where to Follow

Be sure to check out some of our other reviews on this blog and like us on Facebook at Bravo Cinema Reviews!  You can also follow me on Twitter @ChaseWaldapfel.  


Comments