Ready Player One Review

   Movie Summary  

Wade Watts is just an average guy who along with just about everyone else spends most of their time in a virtual reality game called The Oasis.   The creator of the game passes away, but leaves a challenge to earn sole control of the game itself.

MPAA Rating/Content   

Ready Player One is rated PG-13 for sequences of sci-fi violence, bloody images, some suggestive material, partial nudity and language.  This sounds like a lot for a PG-13 rating, but it isn't as bad as it sounds.  You should still be fine with most kids 10 and up.  There is an F-bomb dropped, but other than that there isn't much foul language.  As far as the partial nudity goes I would hardly called it nudity.  It is just a naked woman's back, but nothing else is shown.


   My Rating: 9/10   

This movie was a lot of fun!  I was worried it would rely too much on nostalgia to keep it going, but it really didn't.  The nostalgic elements were just a bonus to what was already an engaging story.  The CGI was phenomenal, and I thought all of the avatars in this looked great.  This movie also has some real world implications and warnings in place.

We are not that far off from the technology in this movie.  It is scary to think what the outside world would look like if everyone was just focused on being inside this game and not maintaining their surroundings.  I liked the themes it presented of just playing for fun, and not making it a competition and also not forgetting to spend some time in the real world.  There are just some things you can't replicate in a virtual space.

The final battle scene I literally had a smile on my face the whole time.  Just seeing all of these characters from other properties come together in one epic battle was something special.  I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means, but I know enough to appreciate the lingo in this.  Those who do fall into that category I think will be happy with how they handled it.

The soundtrack also fit perfectly in this movie.  The music grabbed my attention every time a new song started.  I will also say if you are a fan of The Shining you will be thrilled with a particular scene in this!

Have you seen it?  What did you think?  Be sure to let me know in the comments and share this review with your friends.  Also if you live in the Magic Valley be sure to see it at Magic Valley Cinema 13!


 Recommended Review 

Tomb Raider (2018)





   Where to Follow   

Like our Facebook Page: Bravo Cinema Reviews!




-Chase Waldapfel
Reviewer 
@ChaseWaldapfel


Comments