Blade Runner 2049 Review

Movie Introduction

Blade Runner 2049 picks up 30 years in the timeline after the original 1982 film.  Denis Villenueve takes the helm on this one, and Ridley Scott is back on as a producer.  Newcomers Ryan Gosling and Jared Leto join the legendary Harrison Ford in this epic sequel.

MPAA Rating/Content

Blade Runner 2049 is rated R for violence, some sexuality, nudity, and language.  I would say the biggest red flag in this for younger viewers would be the nudity and sexual references.  The nudity is used primarily in non-sexual ways, however there is also a fair amount of sexual related material as well.  For example there is a scene of what I would call a "futuristic brothel", and some other brief female nudity throughout.  



My Rating: 9/10

I honestly couldn't really think of anything wrong with this movie.  It was masterfully shot, and the way they incorporate color in this is simply amazing.  I was worried that a sequel this far from the original would look too much different in style.  That is definitely not the case as even with some updated effects it still captures the essence of what the first film established.  I guess if I have to give a negative I would say that I'm always a little annoyed when they put scenes from the third act in the trailer.  I can understand why they did it because they want to sell Harrison Ford returning in this, but don't expect to seem him for the first hour and 45 minutes.  This sequel does an excellent job of maintaining the original story elements, but also expanding this dystopian world.  It really makes me want to go back and watch the first one.  I'm having a hard time deciding which one I like better because this one was that good.

Where to Follow

Be sure to like us on Facebook at Bravo Cinema Reviews and share this review with your friends!  Let us know your thoughts on if you're excited to see it or if you have seen it I'd like to see what you thought.

Review By:
Chase Waldapfel


Comments